I received the B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 2013, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, USA, in 2015 and 2018, respectively.
I am currently a Postdoctoral Scholar at Michael Dickinson Lab at the division of Biology and Biological Engineering (BBE) at California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, USA.
I am currently interested in
- Modeling and analysis of Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) wing rotation
- Studying the role of various neurons on the fruit fly dynamical behavior related to flight
- Conducting experiments on various fruit flies genotypes to understand their walking behavior
As a Ph.D. student at UCLA, I worked on
- Development of a wafer-level post-fabrication modification technique
- Systematic manipulation of multiple pairs of modes of MEMS resonators
- Design, analysis, and modeling of MEM ring resonators
- Development of a new approach for modal parameter estimation • Modeling (analytical and finite element) of ring dynamics
- Studying of damping mechanisms in ring type resonators
• Tailored Etch Profiles for Wafer-Level Frequency Tuning of Axisymmetric Resonators
Amir H. Behbahani, Dennis Kim, Philip Stupar, Jeffrey DeNatale, Robert T. M’Closkey
Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, pp. 333-343, 2017.
• Frequency Analysis of a Uniform Ring Perturbed by Point Masses and Springs
Amir H. Behbahani, Robert T. M’Closkey
Journal of Sound and Vibration, pp. 204-221, 2017.
• Adaptive cancellation of parasitic coupling
Howard H. Ge, Amir H Behbahani, James S. Gibson, Robert T. M’Closkey,
Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, in press, 2018.
• Toward Perfection of Gyros! Modeling, Analysis, and Modification of Ring-Type Resonators
Amir H. Behbahani,
University of California, Los Angeles, 2018.
• Thermoelastic Dissipation Analysis of Imperfect Rings
Amir H. Behbahani, Robert T. M’Closkey, in progress.
• Multi-Modal Tuning in MEMS Axisymmetric Resonators
Amir H. Behbahani, Howard H. Ge, Robert T. M’Closkey, in progress.
• A Model-Based Approach for Modal Parameter Estimation in MEMS Resonators
Robert T. M’Closkey, Amir H. Behbahani, in progress.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
• Wafer-Scale Etch Process for Precision Frequency Tuning of MEMS Gyros
Dennis Kim, Amir H. Behbahani, Philip Stupar, Jeffrey DeNatale, Robert T. M’Closkey
Inertial Sensors and Systems, 2015 IEEE International Symposium on, March 2015,
Hapuna Beach, HI.
• Analysis of the Dynamics of a Perturbed Ring
Amir H. Behbahani, Robert T. M’Closkey
Inertial Sensors and Systems, 2016 IEEE International Symposium on, February 2016,
Laguna Beach, CA.
• MEMS gyro drift compensation using multiple rate measurements derived from a single resonator
Howard H. Ge, Amir H Behbahani, Robert T. M’Closkey,
Position, Location and Navigation Symposium-PLANS 2018, 2018 IEEE/ION, April 2018, Monterey, CA.
• Optimal Actuation of Dynamically Driven Serial and Hybrid Flexure Systems
Jonathan B Hopkins, Yuanping Song, Shaoyu Wang, Amir H Behbahani, Ilya Josefson,
ASME 2014 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, August 2014, Buffalo, NY.
Doctor of Philosophy, Mechanical Engineering University of California, Los Angeles, March 2018
Analytical and Experimental Study of MEMS Disc Resonators
Primary focus: Dynamics, Structural Mechanics
Secondary focus: Control, Design, Manufacturing
Toward Perfection of Gyros! Modeling, Analysis, and Modification of Ring-Type Resonators
Grade Point Average: 4.00/4
Advisor: Robert T. M’Closkey
Masters of Science, Mechanical Engineering University of California, Los Angeles, June 2015
Major: Design, Robotics and Manufacturing,
Minors: System Controls, Dynamics and Solid Mechanics
Grade Point Average: 3.93/4
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering Sharif University of Technology, Iran, August 2013
Grade Point Average: 3.70/4
California Institute of Technology (Caltech), September 2018 – Present
Caltech Postdoctoral Association (CPA) Board Member
Organizing seminars and workshops to help postdocs with job search, grant writing, work-life balance
California Institute of Technology (Caltech), January 2019 – March 2019
Main organizing team member of Caltech Science for March 2019
An outreach event with over 2,400 attendees (mostly elementary and high-schools students).
Inaugural Los Angeles Postdoctoral Research Symposium, January 2019 – March 2019
- Organizing and chairing an academic job search panel with professors from Southern California universities to share their experience with the postdocs and answer their questions regarding the academic job search process.
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), September 2015 – March 2018
UCLA Center for Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED)
Graduate Teaching Assistant for various engineering courses.
- Helping with study nights to prepare minority and historically underprivileged students for the exams.
Sharif University of Technology, April 2011 – June 2013
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Computer Programming, and Heat Transfer
- Holding weekly discussion for solving examples
- Grading homework assignments and projects
- Proctoring and grading exams
Honors and Awards
UCLA Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE), June 2018
IEEE Position, Location and Navigation Symposium, June 2018
Best paper in the track
UCLA Graduate Division, June 2016
Graduate Division Fellowship
Iran National University Entrance Exam, June 2009
Ranked top 0.03% (amongst 300,000 students)
Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics
Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control
Journal of Sound and Vibration
Elsevier Mechatronics Journal